Tuesday, March 4, 2008

packet one

I managed to send out the first 40 pages of my thesis. People ask me what it is about. I hardly know myself. Contextualizing my practice, articulating some personal theory of art, my understanding of interdisciplinary art.. GOD knows what....else..

I feel like my passion for the moment is lost in this process. I am my own archeologist, art historian. diggin around. Trying to remember why I think this or when I saw this...

Last night I was showing the self portraits of an Alzheimer patient to my drawing class at CSMD. This artist continued to make images of himself after his diagnosis, and as he deteriorated.. so why do I like the ones at the end of the series? They are so clear to me.. in their abstraction, they have more room for possibility.. the more academic work has answered any questions I might have, where the later ones leave a lot of room for thinking about the nature of identity.. What does it even mean to make self portraits if we do not go beyond what we know about the face?

No comments: